isirv Antiviral Group
Clinical guidance on the use of antiviral drugs
Evaluation and registration of antiviral agents is undertaken at a national level by local regulatory authorities. There are no international regulations. A small number of countries have issued national guidance on the use of antiviral drugs for both the treatment and prophylaxis of influenza virus infection, and the World Health Organization has published global guidelines. Links to published guidance can be found below.
Published research: Review of European recommendations for antiviral use
A study by Stephenson et al reviewed recommendations for use of antivirals for treatment and prevention of seasonal influenza in countries of the European Union. The authors identified recommendations in eight EU countries and concluded that there were significant differences on antiviral use between countries, and recommended the development of Europe-wide guidance.
Global guidance on the use of antiviral drugs
World Health Organization
- WHO guidelines for pharmacological management of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza and other influenza viruses, World health Organization, February 2010. Available at: http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/swineflu/h1n1_use_antivirals_20090820/en/index.html
- WHO Rapid Advice Guidelines on pharmacological management of humans infected with avian influenza A (H5N1) virus. World Health Organization, May 2006. Available at: http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/guidelines/pharmamanagement/en/index.html.
National guidance on the use of antiviral drugs
United Kingdom – issued by the National Centre for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), and by the Health Protection Agency.
- Oseltamivir, amantadine and zanamivir for the prophylaxis of influenza (including a review of TA67) Technology appraisals, TA158 - Issued: September 2008. Available at: http://publications.nice.org.uk/oseltamivir-amantadine-review-and-zanamivir-for-the-prophylaxis-of-influenza-ta158.
- Amantadine, oseltamivir and zanamivir for the treatment of influenza (review of existing guidance No. 58) Technology appraisals, TA168 - Issued: February 2009. Available at: http://publications.nice.org.uk/amantadine-oseltamivir-and-zanamivir-for-the-treatment-of-influenza-ta168.
- HPA guidance on use of antiviral agents for the treatment and prophylaxis of influenza, 2011-12. 12 December 2011 Version 3. Available at: http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1317131466016.
United States of America
- Seasonal influenza in adults and children - diagnosis, treatment, chemoprophylaxis, and institutional outbreak management: clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Available at: http://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=14173.
- Antiviral Agents for the Treatment and Chemoprophylaxis of Influenza. Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices 2011(ACIP). Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr6001a1.htm.
- 2011-2012 Influenza Antiviral Medications: summary for clinicians. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/antivirals/summary-clinicians.htm.
The websites listed above are not under the control of isirv-AVG, and the AVG is not responsible for their content. These links do not serve as an endorsement by the AVG of any of the sites, they are provided solely for the convenience of our users.
Please contact us with the details of any URL changes.